From today, 1st November 2021, a director of an Australian corporation will need a director identification number (“ID”).
What is a director ID?
The director ID is a unique identifier for each director who has verified their identity with the Australian Business Registry Services. You will only need to apply for this ID number once, and keep it forever. It will be applicable to all directors of Australian companies and registered bodies.
There are transitional rules in place to allow time for existing and new directors to apply for the ID number. The relevant dates are below:
- Directors appointed prior to 31 October 2021 will have until 30 November 2022 to apply.
- Directors appointed between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022 must apply within 28 days of their appointment.
- Directors will need to already have applied for an ID for any new appointments from 5 April 2022 onwards, so if you are planning on becoming a director, you can apply before you are appointed
How do I apply?
Step 1 – Set up myGovID
Step 2 – Gather your documents
Step 3 – Complete your application
You can apply for a director ID now.
Who doesn’t need a director ID?
You will not require a director ID if you are:
- a company secretary but not a director
- acting as an external administrator of a company
- running a business as a sole trader or partnership
- referred to as a ‘director’ in your job title but have not been appointed as a director under the Corporations Act or the CATSI Act
- a director of a registered charity with an organisation type that is not registered with ASIC to operate throughout Australia
- an officer of an unincorporated association, cooperative or incorporated association established under state or territory legislation, unless the organisation is also a registered Australian body.
For existing directors, your details with ASIC will need to be updated for each company you are a director of by November 2022. So when you apply for the directors ID please send it through, and we will let you know what needs to be done to update ASIC.
Help and Support
If you want to discuss whether you should apply for a director ID, please feel free to contact our office on 08 6118 6111 or email email@example.com